It’s summer in the desert now and I find that it’s the little things that keep me going…
1. Tiny Wings: this app has been distracting me for weeks now and I don’t see that ending anytime soon. Seriously. [It’s taken me an entire week to write this blog post because I keep pausing to play a game of Tiny Wings.] So pathetic. And yet I can’t stop!
2. Trader Joe’s: I know most of you have heard of, and probably experienced, Trader Joe’s and will agree that it’s one of those stores that has great products and an incredibly helpful staff. A few of the things I love about Trader Joe’s right now? The mini-shopping carts. Georgie (my 2 year old) is fighting me on riding in the cart seat so the mini-carts make it waaaaaay easier to get through a grocery shop. Of course, I usually arrive at checkout with a few extra items but it’s worth it! I’m also enamored of the Vacuum Fried Pineapple which is a fabulously crispy snack. And, as the perfect cocktail hour munchie, Soy & Flax Seed Tortilla Chips with Fat Free Spicy Black Bean Dip. ‘Nuf said.
3. Spinning: it’s been a decade (or so) since I finished college and my Division I athletic career. Since then I’ve struggled to find a workout that I could be passionate about and stay interested in for more than one week. I tried spinning years ago and HATED it; it made my butt so sore I couldn’t sit at my desk the next day. Recently a friend of mine convinced me to give it another shot and I’m so glad he did. My achy rear dissipated after 4 classes and I was hooked. Never have I sweat like this before – and I played field hockey in the hot, humid South in August! It’s an hour of burning muscles, an instructor telling me what to do, my phone is off and my kids are looked after by someone else. Ahhhh….
4. Online shops: look, online shopping itself is no revelation but there are some awesome sites that have some great deals on a variety of things. Ideeli, Hautelook, Ruelala and Gilt are membership sites (relax, membership is free) and offer super-discounted prices on everything from apparel to household items to vacations. It’s how I do my window-shopping while the kids watch morning cartoons!
5. Juicer: I’m no Jack Lalane but I am trying to beat the summer heat in a healthy fashion and take advantage of some of the gorgeous produce at local farmer’s markets by juicing. It helps that the kids get into it and love making up their own drink combos. At the moment we’re really into a tangy and tart apple/lime juice and peach/strawberry/lemon juice.
6. Pumas (not the animal, the shoe): my very sweet husband bought me some new kicks
for my birthday (see pic). Never did I think I would be so psyched about new sneakers; I fancy myself a bit more of a Manolo Blahnik/Christian Louboutin/Brian Atwood kind of woman. But it’s really an apples and oranges situation, so I’m quite happy prancing around in my new sneakers all day long and slipping into my platform stilettos for the occassional night out!
7. Oakleys: my husband is going to sound like a saint at the end of this post, as well he should. He does a wonderful job of remembering the little comments I make about clothes and accessories. He did me proud on Mother’s Day when he handed me a new pair of sunglasses, the exact pair I’d pointed out a few months before. Check them out on the Oakley site. Ah, bless.
8. Pitbull (not the animal, the artist): I’m always late jumping on the music bandwagon, but I can’t go through this whole list without a mention of an awesome summer song: Bon, Bon. It’s $1.29 on iTunes. Buy it.